2006 General Membership Meeting
The Stryker Area Heritage Council Board of Trustees reelected its current officers and began planning for 2007 at its December 14 meeting.
Much of the meeting was devoted to a review of 2006 accomplishments and discussion of 2007 organizational goals.
The Board members were pleased with the significant progress made by the organization since its creation in February 2006 and felt the SAHC was making a positive difference in the area.
The Board discussed a number of proposed 2007 goals, including:
• Development of modular historical displays that can be easily moved to various locations or events to serve as “portable museums.”
• Plan a tour, and record local residents’ memories and information on the 1922 Stryker High School before it is razed.
• Coordinate activities that enhance the Stryker Summerfest, Stryker High School Alumni Banquet, and other community events.
• Plan a holiday historic homes tour that may include the historic depot and local businesses coordinated with Santa’s arrival in Stryker.
• Work with village representatives and other interested parties to establish a museum in the Stryker depot, including addressing operating costs, staffing, and possible joint use with the Chamber of Commerce or other organization(s).
The Board discussed having SAHC trustees, village and Chamber representatives visit the Wauseon depot museum operated by the Fulton County Historical Society.
• Publish a book on Stryker area history.
• Create a “virtual museum” on the SAHC website, www.strykerahc.org, featuring photographs and information on local artifacts.
The Board agreed to discuss 2007 goals in greater detail at their January 18, 2007, meeting and to invite members to share ideas at this meeting or by contacting one of the trustees.
Following this discussion, the Board conducted its annual election, and the current slate of officers was reelected. Serving through 2007 will be President Kevin Maynard, Vice President Kent Julliard, Treasurer Sue Buehrer and Secretary Terry Wieland.
In other business:
• The SAHC purchased copies of Dr. Mark Camp’s book, “Railroad Depots of Northwest Ohio,” to place in the Stryker and Bryan branches of the Williams County Public Library.
• Heard a report on a November 30 meeting with representatives of the SAHC, Village of Stryker, Chamber of Commerce, Stryker Steering Committee and local businesses to discuss ways the groups can work cooperatively for mutual benefit. A follow-up meeting is scheduled for 7 p.m. on Thursday, January 4, 2007, at the Stryker Senior Center.